Welcome to BusyGalTips! With a background in social work, I thrive on helping others improve their lives! This is a creative way for me to live out my passion and share ways to make your busy life a little bit more manageable. ••••••••••••• Additional bonus tips can be found on Twitter and Facebook (click the links on the left). Enjoy!

11/29/2010

Get to Know the Author of BusyGalTips!

I thought it might be nice for you all to have a little peek at who it is you're getting all these tips from, so this blog is about moi! Here's an inside look at the original Busygal...
 That's me! 
My name is Carly. I'm a Southern California girl, born and raised, and I don't think I'll ever leave...the beach, the weather...it really is a wonderful place to live! I have a brother and am blessed with an incredible family and amazing friends.
My brother and I at my MSW graduation
   Professionally speaking, I earned my Bachelor of Social Work from San Diego State University in 2004, and my Master of Social Work from California State University, Long Beach & my Pupil Personnel Services Credential from University of California, Los Angeles, both in 2010. I am also a member of the National Association of Social Workers, and a registered Associate Clinical Social Worker, working toward my license to become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
   I am a school-based therapist, providing therapeutic services to elementary-aged children and their families. I am passionate about working in early intervention, increasing graduation rates, and increasing protective factors among at-risk youth. I love being the voice for those who have no voice, and being a listening ear for youth who don't often have anyone who regularly supports them. 
   "How are you?" You'd be amazed how many kids I've asked that simple question to and in return, they look at me through narrowed eyes, and say, "You want to know how I am? Why? Nobody's ever asked me that before." Wow. What an honor to be there for them! 
   Many of the children I've worked with have experienced more tragic events in their short years than most of us will ever experience in our entire lives. It breaks my heart how casually they mention witnessing shootings, deaths, abuses, drugs, suicides, etc...to some of them, it's their daily reality. I am determined to provide these children with the best and most professional support through the difficult times they experience, and in the process, encourage them to pursue a different way of life...one that includes graduating high school, attending college, and pursuing their passions.
   Prior to working with youth, I was a substance abuse counselor at an intensive outpatient treatment center for pregnant and parenting women ages 18 and up. This was also an incredible experience, and my life was impacted in a lasting way by each woman I worked with. Many of these women have completed treatment and gone on to earn their diploma or GED, have reunited with their children, and some have even gone on to attend college and begin careers. Incredible women. Each one of them. They all had heartbreaking stories, and it was an honor to help them write a new ending to the one they believed had already been written for them.

 
             Photo by Michael Spengler Photography            Paris...the only other placed we'd consider moving to
   Personally speaking, my husband and I (my high school sweetheart!) married in 2005, and I am blessed to say it truly has been wedded bliss ever since! No kids yet...those are still a couple of years away. In the meantime, we love to travel, stay up way too late, sleep in, go to concerts, go out to dinner, entertain friends, spend time with family, and act like kids whenever possible.
 
   My motivation for writing this blog is simple. As you can probably tell by now, I LOVE helping people...in whatever way possible. Obviously, in a professional sense, that entails providing therapeutic services to individuals. 
   However, there are many ways to help people in an informal manner. I love sharing information with others and helping to make their lives less complicated. Most of the tips on here are about products that I've found that make my life easier. I love to save money and find a good deal (who doesn't?!), and I get an incredible feeling of satisfaction when I tell friends about something I've found that they say, "Wow, that would really help me out!" 
   While I was job searching (a grueling 7-month process), I started thinking of ways I could help people in a fun way using technology. I could have done e-therapy, but I wanted a fun, simple outlet that had to do with providing a free service to people that would boost their physical and emotional health through providing simple ideas, tips, and tricks. And then I realized...why limit my fun finds to just my friends? Why not share them with whoever wants to listen? And the result...BusyGalTips was born.
   I hope you continue to enjoy these blogs and that the tips truly do help to make your life a bit easier and less stressful...that's my goal! From one Busygal to another...enjoy!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

0 comments:

Post a Comment