Welcome to BusyGalTips! With a background in social work, I thrive on helping others improve their lives! This is a creative way for me to live out my passion and share ways to make your busy life a little bit more manageable. ••••••••••••• Additional bonus tips can be found on Twitter and Facebook (click the links on the left). Enjoy!

1/04/2011

Get Natural, Busygals! A Review of Tom's of Maine Deodorant

 I don't know about you, but when I step back and think about how many products I put on my body on a daily basis...shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shaving cream, lotion, toothpaste, perfume, makeup, and the list goes on...and then how many chemicals are in each of these things, it honestly freaks me out a little bit. 

Now I'm no health guru by any means, but I was raised in a home where natural products, such as vitamins and plant-based products, were used and encouraged (thanks Mom!). My childhood has stuck with me, and to this day, I try to use natural products when it's convenient and not crazy-expensive.

One thing I have heard since a child is that aluminum zirconium, which is found in most deodorants, is no good for your 'pits. I did a quick google search, and it sounds like it's a hotly-debated topic as to whether or not aluminum really causes cancer, or Alzheimer's, or a myriad of other problems, but my thought is, "Hey, if you can avoid something that's even rumored to cause problems, you might as well!"

Which brings me to a product I have been searching for most of my teen and adult life for: Tom's of Maine Long-Lasting Care Deodorant Stick. I have always tried to avoid 'mainstream' deodorants. I've tried to steer toward natural ones, but I have always ultimately had to return to deodorants with aluminum, because, to my disappointment, the majority of the natural ones I've tried simply don't do their job.

I was close, but still wasn't completely resigned to the fact that I would never find a good natural deodorant. On a whim, I snatched up a Tom's of Maine Long-Lasting Care Deodorant Stick in Fresh Apricot while browsing around Target. The label made claims such as, "natural," "24 hour odor protection," "long lasting," "aluminum-free" (ding ding ding!!!). I had low expectations, to say the least, given my previous attempts with others, but I figured it was worth a try.
Image courtesy of healthdesigns.com
To my completely pleasant surprise, this sucker does the trick! It smells light and fresh, not too overpowering, and it WORKS!!! And the ingredients are all-natural as far as I can tell (click here for all ingredients). It is also offered in the scents of: Lavender, Lemongrass (I think I'll try this one next time!), or Unscented/Fragrance-Free.

If you're in the market for a new deodorant, prefer products with natural ingredients, or are selectively cautious about chemicals in products (like me), then I would highly recommend checking this deodorant out! I believe you can purchase it at most drug stores, Target, and possibly even grocery stores.

Stay fresh & natural, Busygals!

0 comments:

Post a Comment